Sunday, November 11, 2012

NOVEMBER 10 - Walking People, Running Salmon

This afternoon, Nikkie and I braved the cold weather (only a shivery 4 degrees), and dragging two kiddies, went on a salmon hunt at Bear Creek Park. 4 species of salmon return to this area to spawn, and this was the right time of year, so even though Someone doubted we would see any, we ignored his comments and off we went.

Before the entrance to the park, we crossed a little stream overpass on King George Boulevard, and look what we saw when we looked down over the fence - two big 'uns trying to navigate the shoals. This was one day I wished I had a Professional Camera with all the bells and whistles - or at least a good zoomer lens - but as with me and all my precious thingies, we did the best we could!
After watching from the sidewalk a few more minutes, we left to cut across the grassy field to the Salmon Trail I had seen a couple of weeks ago. Seems this was a favoured home of the industrious groundhog. I imagine they will soon be hibernating, as we have had signs of frost. Brrr.
See? Signs of frost on the ground. Brrr.
Well, here's the proposed path - we would have travelled it all in a fishy pursuit, but two little rascals weren't as enthusiastic about it as we were. However, we did make it to number 4 (I believe.)
Now, some of these pics are similar to the Where's Waldo books that used to be so popular. But there is at least one little fishy here.
And there are at least 2 here. Believe me, seeing them was a heck more exciting than looking at these pretty awful pictures.
There's a duck here, for sure. I think the salmon swam away. Or maybe the duck ate it.
It doesn't matter if there were any fishes here at all, as this is such a pretty picture.
There's a beauty down below. It's easier to see if you first find the tail (that's the whitish tail-shaped thing at the end) and work your way to the right, sort of lowering your eyes as you go.
Talk about nature's camouflage. The salmons' journey is a true definition of bittersweet. After the eggs hatch in the spring, the babies make their way to the ocean - a large percentage of the 'fry' don't make it. Then when they are mature, they will find their way back to their birthplace - again, a lot don't make it - to spawn, and after they spawn? Well, then they die. But they do have thousands of babies, and I'm sure that comforts them - thinking about the faces of their children.  But it doesn't sound like they got a deal on life, does it, now. However, if If you want a more detailed lesson - click here. Read carefully - there may be a quiz later.

Now here's a good snap! Gotchya!
And here, thanks to Nikkie and her camera, here are two Sockeye salmon - the nice lady watching beside us was very knowledgeable about such things, or we would never have know Sockeyes were red. I guess it's just when they are ready to spawn though, as the ones we buy frozen at the Steveston Fishermen's Dock aren't red.
Now, as I was watching and talking and listening, I didn't realize I had my phone on video camera, so if you can bear with a lot of sleeves, and rails, and fuzzies, you'll see a bit of Nikkie, hear a bit of me, and learn some cool salmon facts from the nice lady we were talking to!
Now, everyone, close your books and get your pencils ready, for here's the Salmon Quiz I warned you about. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment